Wednesday 24 September 2008

US Politics of Irrelevance: 1st US Presidential Debate (Obama vs. McCain) Preview

I believe this is going to be my last post from my current voluntary exile before traveling home in the upcoming hours, and though I want to keep the attention to the Jordan Social Debate, I am a bit convinced that the US Presidential Debate are too important to ignore, and the first debate on Foreign Policy shall represent a milestone to understand the course of action and policy the US will carry on in the upcoming President Obama, hopefully, or heaven forbids President McCain.

This debate was planned to be the last among the three televised debates but team Obama feels that the senator can really catch the hearts and minds of voters, and they might feel that this is the hardest debate among them all, as Americans tend to highly rates Republicans on Off-shore policy and Democrats on Domestic one.

In the debate expect the following:
Senator McCain:
Iraq: I supported the surge, I supported the war when it was not popular, the surge is working, I will intend to leave Iraq with a victory!
Senator Obama will not bring victory! He doesn’t acknowledge the victory and success we are gaining there!
War on Terrorism:
I will go after Bin Ladin to gates of hell!
Iran: I hope he will sing Bomb Bomb Bomb Iran, but he will say: Senator Obama is willing to meet with Ahmed Najad
Middle East: shall not be a bigger difference of the two Senators, but there is a general feeling that only a President Obama can bring some progress to the Middle East Peace Process, however the two candidates will go on a beauty contests on who is more pro-Israel, McCain can score there
Latin America:
I am not going to meet with Shavez or Castro (Castro is not in power, but hell yes it is McCain)
My Advisor is not a lobbyist for any non-Democratic State down there
Europe:
Spain is a Latin American Country, and I will review our relationship before meetings with its Prime Minister (he will flip on this statement made by him earlier this week), but he will mock Obama speech in Berlin
I AM A POW (Prisoner of War) I am a POW, I am a POW – like zillions times



Obama
Iraq: the Surge has worked beyond our wildest dreams, Iraqis want us out, we need to practice more pressure on Iraqis to be in charge of their security, I opposed the war far from the beginning (McCain can response: but you said you wouldn’t know how you were going to vote if you were actually in the Congress my friend)

Middle East: Obama said that Jerusalem is the Sole Capital for Israel, and said again it is a Capital for two-states- Obama would try to look a strong Israel friend, but he doesn’t have much credentials, never mind that Biden (Obama running mate) is a very hot prospect and big fan of Israel (third largest fund source for Biden)
Iran: we can not allow them having nukes (Cool Obama), but I am standing by my statement that I would meet with its leaders unconditionally (fully prepared)- I do believe he should echo that last Secretary of State

General Note:
I don’t consider Obama a great debater, and since he is a the frontrunner there is much to loose, so what I would advice Obama: Just don’t screw it, show leadership, focus on judgment coming to Afghanistan as the centre front of war on terrorism, Iraq as a passionate opposition, and draws a clear plan to withdraw. He might adapt a position that the liberal Americans will not cherish but this is the highest office on stake!
it is quite a dilemma for him to go against his initial calls that he will meet with the enemy of the States.
As a Jordanian I want him to focus on the Middle East Peace process, and calls for more comprehensive package that can at least speaks to the two parties instead of being an advocate of one. I wish there would be a reasonable withdrawal from Iraq, and no plans to storm with wars anymore!
He can focus on McCain shocking statements: we are all Georgians! COLD WAR! And of course echo how the US are not being considered anymore a leader of the Free World (if there is any)

Advice to McCain: just be yourself, and you will screw it for sure!

And yes please change the timing of the debate; it is bad to be up at 7 o’clock with no Non-Ramadan advantages

No comments: